I love lemon water.
When I first started reading about being green and healthy I read “The Gorgeously Green Diet…” by Sophie Uliano. It was a great book for me to start with. There are a lot of great recipes along with weekly meal plans. Her meal plans include a glass of water with fresh lemon juice from 1/2 lemon every morning before eating or drinking anything else. Lemon water is not only an easy way to add flavor to water, but apparently it’s extremely healthy for you.
Here are a few reasons why (from La Jolla Mom):
1. Boosts your immune system: Lemons are high in vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds. They’re high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure.
2. Balances pH: Drink lemon water everyday and you’ll reduce your body’s overall acidity. Lemon is one of the most alkaline foods around. Yes, lemon has citric acid but it does not create acidity in the body once metabolized.
3. Helps with weight loss: Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. It also has been shown that people who maintain a more alkaline diet (see #2) lose weight faster.
4. Aids digestion: Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials. It encourages the liver to produce bile which is an acid that required for digestion. Efficient digestion reduces heartburn and constipation.
5. Is a diuretic: Lemons increase the rate of urination in the body, which helps purify it. Toxins are, therefore, released at a faster rate which helps keep your urinary tract healthy.
6. Clears skin: The vitamin C component helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. Lemon water purges toxins from the blood which helps keep skin clear as well. It can actually be applied directly to scars to help reduce their appearance.
7. Freshens breath: Not only this, but it can help relieve tooth pain and gingivitis. The citric acid can erode tooth enamel, so you should monitor this. I admit, I’m slightly worried about it.
8. Relieves respiratory problems: Warm lemon water helps get rid of chest infections and halt those pesky coughs. It’s thought to be helpful to people with asthma and allergies too.
9. Keeps you zen: Vitamin C is one of the first things depleted when you subject your mind and body to stress. As mentioned previously, lemons are chock full of vitamin C.
10. Helps kick the coffee habit: After I have a glass of hot lemon water, I actually don’t crave coffee in the morning. This is weird, I can’t explain it, but I’ll take it.
Tip: Drink your warm lemon water in coffee cups that has coffee or tea stains. The lemon water will help remove them.
Tip: Grind the used lemon rinds in your garbage disposal to help deodorize it.
Amanda’s Tip: Drink the lemon water through a straw. The citric acid can erode tooth enamel, but helps digestion once it hits your stomach.
By drinking a glass of lemon water in the morning, I tend to drink more water throughout the day. I haven’t been drinking lemon water daily and reading these articles reminded me how much I enjoyed it. Looks like that routine is (re-)starting tomorrow.
Read more from these articles I found: